How good hygiene can relieve your Hidradenitis Suppurativa pain
Living with Hidradenitis Suppurativa can be very tough. The swelling, discharge and pain can get anyone down. You might even be feeling very self-conscious, even around your loved ones. The discharge from your cysts, and they smell might be off-putting to your friends and colleagues. Even now doctors are prescribing surgery and antibiotics when some positive lifestyle changes can work near-miracles. Read on to find out how good personal hygiene can relieve you of your HS pain.
It all starts with hygiene
I know you are in pain right now, and want immediate relief. You have to keep in mind that getting instant relief from a condition you have suffered from for months, if not years, will take some drastic changes. It can be done though, and you can experience pain relief within two weeks, and full recovery within 8 weeks.
But you need to accept that you might have to make some drastic changes. You will have to take extra care with your hygiene, plan your diet better, and perhaps make some other lifestyle changes.
Basic personal hygiene will go along way in minimizing the pain from your HS sores. But there are a few additional steps that you can take to further limit the discomfort.
- Make sure you maintain good general hygiene, and keep the affected areas as clean as possible.
- Take regular warm showers to soften your skin.
- Always leave those sores alone. Don’t pick at them, scratch or harshly scrub the affected skin.
- Do not shave the affected area, as this can lead to irritation and further inflammation.
- Clean your bed linen and towels regularly to avoid re-infection.
- Make sure to shower immediately after sports activities, or going to the gym.
- Use ice packs on the affected areas to relieve some of the inflammation.
While these steps won’t cure you of HS by themselves, they are a great foundation to fully recover from HS. Combine these hygiene tips with a well thought-out diet, and the necessary lifestyle changes, and you are well on your way to beating Hidradenitis Suppurativa.
Special thanks to Therese Wilson, author of The Fast Hidradenitis Suppurativa Cure for her advice and her patience in answering all my questions about HS.
Originally posted 2016-02-10 03:23:33.